Village of Oblong
March 2010 Draft Minutes
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, March 3rd, 2010, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe
Present: Campanella, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Tom
Present: Compton (Daily News), Mike McReynolds and Jessi Duzan (Oblong Gem).
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of February 3rd, 2010, were approved with a motion by Ken and a second by Joe. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There was one water bill customer at the meeting this month. Mike McReynolds
asked if he could make payments on his water bill. He stated that they had had a
water leak which caused the bill to be higher than normal. The Board granted his
5. Under Mayor’s Comments:
1. Randy stated that the Village had received a letter from MediaCom regarding the annual customer service report. He stated that the report will be on file in the Clerk/Treasurer’s Office if any of the trustees want to see it.
2. Randy stated that the Village had received another letter from MediaCom regarding the expansion of their broadband services to this area.
3. Randy stated that the Village had received a Thank You letter from the Crawford County Spay/Neuter Foundation for the Village’s donation. Randy stated that the foundation has already started setting traps.
4. Randy stated that the Village had received a letter from Casey’s General Store regarding the possibility of getting a Beer/Wine Sales liquor license. The Board has not changed their minds about issuing any more liquor license. Motion by Debi, with a second by Ken, to deny Casey’s request and send them a letter to inform them of the Board decision. All ayes, motion carried.
5. Randy stated that the Revolving Loan Committee had met last month and have approved and recommend that the Village get Todd Allen a loan in the amount of $25,000 for equipment, in the businesses he is buying, from the Oblong Revolving Loan Fund. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Rick H., to ratify the committee’s recommendation to loan $25,000 to Todd Allen for equipment from the Oblong Revolving Loan Fund. All ayes, motion carried.
There was some discussion on how much longer the Village had before the USDA grant period expires and in the future, possibly limiting how much will be loaned out per application. The original end date for the grant from USDA is June, 2010; but Randy stated that with the above loan the Village may be able to get an extension. There is a recommendation that the Revolving Loan Committee look into possibly limiting the total amount loan to an applicant.
6. Randy mentioned that the Spring Clean-Up with Veolia will be April 29th. He also mentioned that WTW Salvage wants to collect the items that they have in the past. No set date as of the Board meeting, but hoping that April 30th will work for them. Randy asked that the Board consider possibility having a dumpster brought in after Spring Clean-up for those who are not Veolia customers to use for a month or so. Randy stated that after giving the citizen this amount of time then any trash/junk seen; the Police department will send the property owners tickets for ordinance violations.
6. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Joe read the monthly report for February. Joe stated that Chad has written a rough draft of an ordinance on the use of Golf Carts and other low speed vehicle on Village streets. The committee will have a meeting sometime this month to go over the draft ordinance and then hopefully bring it to the Board for a vote next Board Meeting.
B. Building and Park: Debi stated that Rick H. is getting quotes on new guttering and flashing for the Municipal Building and Gary is getting quotes for new lights out at the park. Debi stated that the above items are being put into next fiscal’s budget.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Rick H. stated that Kieffer Bros. has started asking about the new wiring for the new street lights. Rick stated that there has been some issue that needs to be ironed out before state will approve.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that Kieffer Bros. have started working on the Route 33 Project again while the weather is cooperating. Gary stated that the department is working on the potholes, but it is slow going because the patching material needs to be heated before being used. Gary asked Randy to give Veolia a call and have the drivers stay more to the center of the street for now due to the softness of the street edges.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that with the change in pipe size from 6” to 4” for the Northeast Water Loop Project. The Village had to resubmit the request for a permit from EPA. The permit has not been issued yet.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that the committee will meet on March 29th at 3 pm to go over the budget figure with the department head. Rick C. thanked Ken for initialing the bills and adjustment to customer accounts in the Public Works Department for the month of February. Rick C. asked for a volunteer to initial the bills and the adjustment to customer accounts in the Public Works Department for the month of March. Rick H. volunteered for the month of March.
G. Development: Tony stated that everything is going as expected. The Joint Review Board Committee Set-up meeting was February 24th at 4 pm. The committee minutes are in the Clerk/Treasurer’s Office for anyone to see. Tony stated that there will be a Public Hearing meeting on March 24th at 7 pm. Randy stated that he had spoke with Frank Weber about getting the annexation paper ready for the next board meeting. Randy stated that the Village will need to vote on the annexation and then adopt the TIF #2 plans. Randy mentioned that the site plans for Dollar General need to be given to Connor & Connor, so they can start working on the water and sewer lines design.
7. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Tony, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
8. There were no other items of business this month.
9. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Tony, to adjourn the meeting at 7:22 pm.
All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd