Village of Oblong
December 7, 2011
December 7th, 2011
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, December 7th, 2011, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Police Chief Chad
Pusey, Chris Forde (WTYE/WTAY), JJ Aten (Oblong Gem), Tom Compton (Daily
Hintscher and Mike McReynolds.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of November 2nd, 2011 were approved with a motion by Joe and a second by Rick H. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There was one water bill customer at the meeting this month. Mike McReynolds came before the Board to ask for an extension on his water bill until Thursday, December 8th. The Board granted his request.
5. Nick Hinterscher came to the Board Meeting to request that the taverns be allowed to stay open until 1:30 am, with last call at 1 am, on New Year’s Eve. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Rick H., to allow the taverns in Oblong to stay open until 1:30 am, with last call at 1 am, on New Year’s Eve. Ayes: Rick C., Joe, Rick H., Tony, Debi.
6. Under Mayor’s Comments:
A. Randy stated that the Village had received a letter from MediaCom dated November 10, 2011, stating that there is to be a rate adjustment on or about December 15, 2011. The rates will be going up between $0.55 to $3.00 and they will be eliminating the paperless bill credit of a $1.00.
B. Randy stated that the Village had received a letter from MediaCom on November 17, 2011, stating that there were going to be some channel line-up changes effective on or around December 13, 2011.
C. Randy stated that Republic had dropped-off new trash containers to their customers. Gary stated that the Public Works Office is making a list of Republic customers that have not yet received their trash containers to give to Tony Myers (Republic Driver).
D. Randy stated that he has been contacted by two other municipalities about
the animal control issues. He stated that there will be some meetings on
what the municipalities are going to do.
E. Randy mentioned that John LeFever has talked with a gentleman that sells a 3-phase generator. Randy stated that with it being close to the end of the Village’s fiscal year that may be it would be best to wait until next fiscal year to purchase the generator and be able to budget better to cover the cost of the generator and installation.
7. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Joe read the monthly report for November. Joe stated that there will be DWI Protect Training Update on December 16th in Robinson and HazMat/Blood Born Pathogens training on December 22nd in Robinson.
B. Building and Park: Debi stated that she had nothing to report this month.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Rick H. stated that the sidewalk projects are finished for now.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that the street signage upgrade program deadlines are as follows: Traffic Control Signs by 2012, Retro-Reflective by 2015 and all signs by 2018. Tony stated that the Village needs to make a policy for street sign, traffic signs and other signage for upgrading. Motion by Tony, with a second by Joe, that the Public Works Department establish and implement a sign maintenance program as outlined in the Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) and that from this day forward it will be the policy to purchase only traffic signs that will meet these requirements. All ayes, motion carried. Gary stated that the Leaf Vac is done for the year, but there will still be boxed and bagged leaf pick-up. The citizens must call in to be put on the list for bagged or boxed leaves to the Public Works Office (618-592-3122). Gary also mentioned that after Christmas, the guys will also pick-up live Christmas trees.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that there was nothing to report for the water. Gary stated that there was a lift station pump repair this past month and that there had been a sewer line problem that has now been taken care of.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that he had nothing to report for this month.
G. Development: Tony stated that there was nothing to report this month.
8. Motion by Ken, with a second by Rick C., to pay the bills that were on
the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge
or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
9. There were two other items of business this month. Rick H. wanted to thank the Christmas in the Park Committee on the decorations around the Park and Lake. Jan stated that Ladora and she would be going to their SECICTA Meeting in Neoga on Thursday (December 8th).
10. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Rick C., to adjourn the meeting at
All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd