Village of Oblong
Draft Minutes for February 9, 2011 Meeting
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, February 9th, 2011, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Rick Catt.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Police Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Daily News), Chris Forde (WTYE/WTAY), Betty Boyd and Part-Time Patrol Officer Joe Gunn.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich. The Mayor stated that the meeting had been postponed from February 2nd to tonight due to weather.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of January 5th. 2011 were approved with a motion by Debi and a second by Ken. Five (5) ayes; motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Randy stated that Dean Myers had contacted the Village about reserving some dates to hold a Bluegrass Jamboree in the Park. The dates are May 23rd thru 29th and August 22nd thru 28th. The Board granted Mr. Myers request for both dates.
6. Randy stated that the Labor Local 1197 is requesting the use of the 4-way stop to collect donation for The Therapy Center of Southern & Central Illinois, Inc., on May 21st, from 8 am to 12 pm (Noon). The Board granted the request.
7. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Tony, to adopt Resolution #2011-R-1 “A
Resolution to Make February ‘Spray or Neuter Month’”. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
8. Randy stated that MediaCom has sent the Village the renewal contract for the franchise. Randy stated that the contract is up in June. He has had the Village Attorney look it over. He stated that the contract will be in the Clerk/Treasurer’s office for the trustees to look over it before the next schedule Board Meeting. There was some discussion on this issue. The Board decided that if there was some questions on the contract; that maybe MediaCom could send a representative to the meeting to answer them.
9. Randy mentioned that the Village had received a letter from the Crawford County Health Department regarding the new NDPES Permit required for pesticide/larvicide application. This is a new requirement by IEPA. The cost for this permit is $250/year. It was decided to not do anything about this permit until Gary receives more information from the state.
10. Gary stated that the Oblong Chamber of Commerce would like permission to use the Park Midway and in front of the Fair Board Office on September 24th from 5:30 pm to around 9:30 pm for “Oldies in the Park”. The Board granted the request. Gary also stated that he had been approached by a group wanting to do a memory walk for Alzheimer, on the walking path, also on this day but from 2 pm to 5pm. The Board granted this request with one stipulation that the group could not close the walking pathway for just their walk.
11. Randy stated that Mike Ellis has contacted the Village about having him do some pricing on the electric rate. He used to work for MidAmerican Energy, but has since started his own business. The Village has also been contacted by Dan Shroeder from Midamerican Energy on the same issue. The Board agreed to have both companies submit rates to look at.
12. Randy stated that he had received a letter from CW3M Company request that the Village considers passing an ordinance prohibiting the installation or use of private potable groundwater wells within a small section of limits of the Village. Randy stated that he had the Village attorney look over the letter and enclosed information. He stated that the letter and information will be in the Clerk/Treasurer’s office for the Trustees to look at before the next schedule Board Meeting.
13. Under Mayor’s Comments:
A. Randy stated that the sound system is up and running. There is a 10 year warranty on all the components. There was an upgrade to 900 Megahertz system from Techno Mad at no cost to the Village and one year service contract. There was a booster for the wireless microphone. Randy stated that Mr. Provines from Kemp Music will be here the week before the Village’s next two events to make sure everything is running okay. There has been a suggestion that the Village pass an ordinance to prohibit any company using certain Megahertz range. There was some discussion on the possibility of using the system for advertising. There was no action taken at this time.
B. Randy stated that the Village has received a Thank You card from the “Christmas in the Park” Committee for the help with the lights and decorations.
C. Randy stated that the Village Board had received a Thank You card from Michelle “Missy” Kessler wanting to thank the Board for the new street signs along Main Street with Oblong School colors. The signs are bright and eye catching. She asked if the Board is planning to replace the other street signs in the Village to match the new ones in the future.
D. Randy mentioned that the Municipal Building is designated as an Emergency Shelter. Do to this designation the Village needs to purchase a back-up generator for the building in case the electricity would be off. There was some discussion on what size would need to be purchased and see if there is a grant that would help with the purchase of the generator.
E. Randy stated that the budgets need to be worked on for next fiscal year.
14. Reports of Committees:
Police: Joe read the January Monthly Report. Joe stated that the committee had had two meetings since last month’s Board Meeting. The first one was to interview two candidates for possible hiring. The committee decided to hire Joe Gunn as a new Part-Time Patrol officer. The second meeting was to discuss the possibility of applying for a grant that would fund three-fourths of the purchase of a new squad car for the department. The Board decided to go ahead and try for the grant. If the Village does not get the grant; then the department will not purchase a new squad until 2013 Fiscal Year. Chad stated that the department has handled its first accident out by the new Dollar General Store.
B. Building and Park: Debi stated that there have been some more lights repaired along the pathway at the park, but have lost a couple.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Rick H. stated that there was nothing to report this month except he wanted to thank Gary and the guys for the clean-up of limbs after the ice storm. Gary mentioned that he would like to thank Frank Yager for plowing some of the sidewalks off up town with his four-wheeler with a blade attachment.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that there was nothing to report this month, except he wanted to mention the good job Gary and the guys did on the streets. Gary brought to the Board for their consideration, on what he had gotten together, on the new trash cans and planters to match. if the Oblong Community Club still wants to purchase the planters. Gary stated that he had finally found a company that had what he was looking for. He showed the Board the color for the trash cans (made of precast concrete with salt/pepper plastic lids) and planters that would come close to matching the color of the new street lights. The cost of the trash cans would be $388 a piece; this price includes the liners for the cans at a cost of $43 a piece. The cost of the planters is $222 apiece. Gary stated that if everything is purchased at one time the cost for shipping would be $433.30. The decision was made at the December Meeting to purchase eight (8) trashcans and four (4) planters. Motion by Joe C., with a second by Debi, to purchase eight (8) trash cans at $388 each for a total of $ 3,104. Five ayes, motion carried.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that the Village had received the permit for Water Extension #7 a few days after last month’s Board Meeting and the guys have almost completed laying the lines for this project. Ken mentioned that one of the sewer lift stations’ pump is out for repairs at this time.
F. Finance: Randy stated that the Board needed to accept the new Investment Policy. This is an annual item and there were no changes this year from last year. Motion by Tony, with a second by Ken, to adopt the 2011 Investment Policy. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Jan stated that the audit will be May 16th thru 20th. She also mentioned that the Farm Rent has been paid for this year. She stated that there have been some donations given to the Phase II Playground Equipment Fund; Marathon has given a $1,000 and Oren Dart has given $400.
G. Development: Tony stated that there was nothing to report at this time.
15. Motion by Joe C., with a second by Rick H., to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
16. There was one other item of business this month.
Randy stated that the Antique Tractor and Engine Club would like permission to use the park for their annual show on August 12th, 13th and 14th. The Board granted the request.
17. Motion by Tony, with a second by Rick H., to adjourn the meeting at 8:01 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd