Village of Oblong
July 6, 2011
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, July 6th, 2011, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Rick Houdasheldt.
Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Police Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Daily News), Chris Forde (WTYE/WTAY), JJ Aten (Oblong Gem), Mike McReynolds, Daniel Fritchie and Sheryl Fritchie.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of June 1st, 2011 were approved with a motion by Joe and a second by Tony. Five (5) ayes; motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were two water bill customers at the meeting this month.
Mike McReynolds asked if he could pay his delinquent water bill on Friday, July 8th. The Board granted his request.
Sheryl Fritchie came before the Board to request an extension on her delinquent water bill. There was some discussion on the matter. The Board decided to give her a 30 day extension on her delinquent water bill.
5. Mike McReynolds came before the Board to ask permission for the local Alzheimer’s
group to use the 4-way stop to collect donations one weekend in the month of August, but not the weekend of the Antique Tractor and Engine Show. The Board stated that there would not be a problem as long as the group supplies the Village with a certificate of insurance and give a specific date for the Board at the next month’s Board meeting.
6. Gary, representing the Oblong Chamber of Commerce, came before the Board
request permission to use the Park for “Oldies in the Park” on September 24th. He also wanted to make sure the Board was okay with closing off the first block of South Range Street at 5 pm on Friday before Fall Follies. The Board granted both requests.
7. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Tony, to accept the Agreement with
Lawhead and to release the lien on the property located at 403 West Illinois Street. Five ayes, motion carried. In the Agreement, Mr. Lawhead will pay $6,000 to the Village of Oblong to clear the lien.
The Board also discussed the property at 305 South Range Street. There have been some issues with ownership and liens on the property. The Board is going to wait until next month to make any decision on what action to take.
8. Under Mayor’s Comments: Randy stated that he had a few comments this month.
1. He stated that he is still trying to get estimates on the cost of a generator and set-up costs for the Municipal Building.
2. Randy wanted to commend the Boy Scouts for putting the American Flags up along Route 33 for the 4th of July Weekend.
3. Randy stated that the Village has received a letter and maps from Ameren Illinois about tree trimming in the Village. Randy stated that the maps would be in the Clerk/Treasurer’s office if anyone wants to look at them.
4. Randy stated that the new sign is in place at the Park entrance and is already being used. Gary stated that the Village needed to thank Joe Stephenson for his help with the sign.
5. Randy stated that he had been contacted about a tree in the right of way in the alley of a property between the 500 block of East Indiana Street and East Kentucky Street. He stated that he would go and look at the tree and then get with the Street/Alley Committee.
9. Reports of Committees:
Police: Joe read the June Monthly Report. Joe stated that there will be extra coverage during the week of the Crawford County Fair (July 23-29) especially on July 26 and 27. Chad has ILEAS Training in August 7-11, and Gabe will be in patrol rifle training this month. Joe mentioned that Chad will be speaking to the Student Leadership participants at Lincoln Trail College on August 2. The new squad car should be done middle of next week. Joe mentioned that there are a few agencies interested in the 2007 squad car.
B. Building and Park: Debi stated that the Playground Equipment Committee has ordered the new playground equipment for children ages 2-5. It should be here in three weeks, but will not be set-up until sometime in August.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Gary stated that there was nothing to report this month.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that there was nothing to report this month. There was some discussion about speeding in the 600 and 700 blocks of South Garfield Street.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that there will be an excavation safety meeting to be held here at the Municipal Building on July 19, for local farmers. This meeting is by invitation only. The Village of Oblong Public Works Department, Ameren Illinois, JULIE Corp., Marathon Pipeline, Faripoint Communication and Norris Electric Coop will be sponsoring the meeting. Gary mentioned that the work has begun on Rural Water Extension 8.
F. Finance: Rick stated that Kemper CPA will be coming to the next Board Meeting with the Audit for last fiscal year.
G. Development: Tony stated that there was nothing to report at this time.
10. Motion by Joe, with a second by Ken, to pay the bills that were on the
list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
11. There were no other items of business this month.
12. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Tony, to adjourn the meeting at 7:45
Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd