Village of Oblong
May 4, 2011 Meeting
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, May 4th, 2011, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Police Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Daily News), Chris Forde (WTYE/WTAY) and Jeff Wiman.
1. The Village Clerk swore in Joe Campanella, trustee; Tony Madlem, trustee; and Debi Wilson as trustee before the Board Meeting was called to order.
2. The meeting was called to order at 7:02 pm by Mayor Rich.
3. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of April 6th, 2011 were approved with a motion by Rick C. and a second by Tony. All ayes; motion carried.
4. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
5. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
6. Ken stated that the letter, the Village is sending to EJ Water Cooperation, will be an agreement between the Village and EJ. (See attached letter) Motion by Tony, with a second by Joe, to approve the letter to be sent to EJ Water Cooperation. All ayes, motion carried.
7. Randy read the Proclamation for National Police Week 2011. Motion by Debi, with a second by Rick H., to adopt the Proclamation for National Police Week 2011. All ayes, motions carried.
8. Randy stated that there has been a request to use the 4-way stop on May 28th, from 8 am to 12pm (Noon) for donations to the Riley’s Children’s Hospital. The Board granted the request.
9. Under Mayor’s Comments: Randy gave an update on the contract between MediaCom and the Village. He stated that there have been some wording changes in Section 2.2 and 3.2. The wording changes in Section 2.2 Other Ordinances. is omitting the following words “to the extent that the provisions of the ordinance do not have the effect of limiting the benefits or expanding the obligations of the Grantee that are granted by this Franchise” and “In the event of a conflict between any ordinance and this Franchise, the Franchise shall control.” The wording changes in Section 3.2 Restoration of Public Ways. is omitting the word “reasonably”. The Board accepted the wording changes.
10. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Joe read the April Monthly Report. Tony asked about accepting bids for the confiscated golf cart. The Board decided to have Chad advertise for bids on the golf cart and then open the bids at the next Board Meeting, which is June 1st.
B. Building and Park: Debi stated that the Committee had a meeting at 6:30 pm before the Board Meeting to discuss a few items. One of the items was a request from the Fair Board to use the Park for a Demolition Derby on June 11th, as a fundraiser for the county fair. Motion by Debi, with a second by Rick C., to grant the request with the stipulation that the Fair Board’s insurance has the same liability coverage as the Village’s insurance. All ayes, motion carried. Another item was the placement of the sign, which the Crawford County Tourism Board had given, will now be placed west of the park entrance behind the fence. There was some discussion on who would be responsible for placing the messages on the sign. It was decided that the Committee would look into setting up guidelines for the use of the sign. Debi stated that the sign will hopefully be placed this month.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Rick H. stated that the Committee had a meeting on April 11th, to discuss some sidewalk problems. He stated that he and Gary had looked at sidewalks that will need work done to. The majority of the problem sidewalks are on North Range Street. Rick stated that the work will probably start mid to late summer.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that there was nothing to report at this time.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that there are still some right-of-ways to get.
F. Finance: Rick stated that he had nothing to report at this time. Jan stated that the Village Audit would be May 16th thru the 20th.
G. Development: Tony stated that there was nothing to report at this time.
11. Motion by Joe, with a second by Debi, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
12. There were no other items of business this month.
13. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Tony, to adjourn the meeting at 7:23
All ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd